Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Finnish Art in Dublin


Virginie by Albert Edelfelt. Photo from here.

Good news for all Finns in Ireland and those, who are interested in Finnish culture. The National Gallery of Ireland is hosting an exhibition of Finnish Art. The Exhibition is called Northern Stars and Southern Lights: The Golden Age of Finnish Art 1870-1920. There are works for example from Albert Edelfelt, Akseli-Gallela, Pekka Halonen and other painters, whose works almost every Finnish person must have seen somewhere. At least in the History books at school, if nowhere else. However these artists are not that famous in other countries. The exhibition started last weekend and will be open until beginning of February next year. I am definitely going to see it, maybe on my next trip to Dublin. I think I have seen many of those paintings in Finland, but I think there are still I haven't seen before. So more about it later.

No comments: